+33 1 57 57 57 46
Arbitration, litigation, international investments
Watch an interview given by Jil Ahdab on arbitration and differences between legal traditions, in connection with a LexisNexis conference held in Abu Dhabi (UAE) on 7 December 2015:
Jalal El Ahdab (Jil Ahdab)‘s practice covers international business law, notably with the Arab world and Europe, and more specifically in the field of international litigation and foreign investments. He has strong expertise in managing international disputes and particularly arbitrations: shareholders and securities suits, class actions, breach of negotiations, bank guarantees … The type of business disputes his practice includes relates to the trade in various types of commodities, telecom markets, port concessions, the construction industry… It also involves the following geographical areas: Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia. He possesses a large knowledge of institutional rules, including ICSID, ICC, LCIA, UNCITRAL, VIAC, DIAC, CRCICA and CAS Rules.
He acts both as a counsel and as an arbitrator (sole arbitrator, co-arbitrator and chairman).
He is a regular speaker at numerous international arbitration conferences and author of numerous articles on the same subject. He is co-author of Arbitration with the Arab Countries (Kluwer, 2011). He is also managing editor of the International Journal of Arab Arbitration, available on www.kluwerarbitration.com and www.intljaa.com. He will also release in 2016 a book on Arbitration Law in France, with Professor Daniel Mainguy (LexisNexis). Finally, he is a lecturer in arbitration law at the Versailles University and at HEC Business School.
Jil Ahdab holds a doctorate in law from Paris I – Sorbonne (2003) and also graduated from Sciences Po Paris (Political Sciences & International Finance) in 1998, the Institut Supérieur de Gestion (Business & Management) in 1995 and Columbia Law School (LLM) in 2002.
After working for ten years within an international law firm (Orrick Rambaud Martel) where he was made counsel back in 2010, he joined Ginestié Magellan Paley-Vincent as a partner in 2012. He is admitted to practice in Paris (France), Beirut (Lebanon) and New York (USA) and speaks equally French, English and Arabic.
Jil Ahdab is member of the ICC (French and Lebanese Committees). He is a member of the ICC International Court of Arbitration, of the Arbitration Commission and of the Institute of World Business Law. He is a former Member of the ICC Task Force on “the Revision of the ICC Rules of Arbitration”, on “Production of Electronic Documents in Arbitration”, on “Arbitration Involving States or State Entities”; of the ICC Working Group on “Decisions on Costs” and current member of the ICC Task Force on Emergency arbitrator Proceedings. He is also a member of the IBA (co-chair of the Mediation Committee; Arbitration Committee; Official co-translator into Arabic of the 2010 IBA Rules on Evidence). He has also adhered to the US ABA and AAA/ICDR (he sits in its International Panel of Arbitrators), the French CFA, the Swiss ASA, the Belgian CEPANI, the UK LCIA and CIArb (which he chairs the Paris Chapter of), the Sport CAS (arbitrator appointed by Lebanon) and to the Singaporean SIAC. Jil Ahdab is also Lebanon’s Representative at the UNCITRAL.
Jil Ahdab has won the 2005 Paris Chamber of Commerce and Industry Award for the best thesis: « The Arbitration Clause and the Non-Signatories » (unpublished yet) and was recognized as a “world leading arbitration expert” by the International Who’s Who of Commercial Arbitration 2012.
“Les parachutes dorés et autres indemnités conventionnelles de départ des dirigeants” (Golden parachutes and other severance packages for D&Os : a comparative (French/UK/US) approach), Revue des sociétés 2004, p. 18;
– “Non-Signatory Participation in Arbitration Proceedings” (a French-US comparison, co-written with P. Coll, ICC Publications, 2005, p.92;
– “L’interprétation restrictive du consentement à une clause compromissoire” (A restrictive interpretation of the consent to an arbitration clause), Revue Procédures, J.-Cl., January 2006, p.7;
– “Quand commence vraiment une procédure arbitrale?” (When does an arbitral proceeding actually start?), Revue de l’arbitrage 2007, p.80;
– “La circulation de la clause d’arbitrage au sein d’une chaîne de contrats” (“The assignment of an arbitration clause through a chain of contracts”), commentary of a French decision: Civ. 1ère, 27 mars 2007, Revue de l’arbitrage 2007, p.785;
– “La prise en charge financière par la société de la responsabilité de ses dirigeants: vers un modèle américain? ”, (D&O’s indemnification under French law: protecting the corporation’s directors from liability and legal expenses following the US rules), Revue des sociétés 2008, p. 239;
– “Le nouveau droit algérien de l’arbitrage : Approche comparée franco-algérienne”, Cahiers de l’arbitrage, Gazette du Palais, March 20-21, 2009, p.29;
– “L’extension d’une clause d’arbitrage à un dirigeant de société”, (Extending the personal reach of an arbitration clause to a corporate director), commentary of a French decision : Civ. 1ère, 22 Oct. 2008, Revue des sociétés 2009, p.618;
– “The Amman Arab Convention for Commercial Arbitration”, in World Arbitration Reporter – International Encyclopedia of Arbitration Law and Practice, Juris-Net Publishing, vol. 4/Treaties and Bilateral and Regional Agreements, 2010;
– “Panorama de jurisprudence des pays arabes” (Annual Update on Recent Arab Case Law on Arbitration), Paris Journal of International Arbitration / Cahiers de l’Arbitrage 2010-4, p.1207 ; 2011-4, p.1157 ; 2012-4, p.1011; 2013-3, p.1121 ;
– “La gestion juridique du risque politique à l’aune des bouleversements actuels dans les pays arabes” (Managing political uncertainy in light of the current upheavals in the Arab countries), La Lettre des Juristes d’Affaires (LJA), 28 mars 2011, n°1015, p.1;
– “Droit de l’Arbitrage et droit de la consommation : sont-ils (in)compatibles?” “Arbitration Law and Consumer Law : are they (in)compatible ? ”, Commentary of a French decision : Civ. 1ère, 25 Feb. 2010, Revue de l’arbitrage, 2011, p.139;
– “The new French Arbitration Act” (co-authored with Maria-Krystina Duval), News and Notes from The Institute for Transnational Arbitration, vol. 25, 2nd Quarter 2011, Number 2, p.1 ;
– “Is Discovery still a foreign creature for civil lawyers in international arbitration?”, (co-authored with Amal Bouchenaki), in “Arbitration Advocacy in Changing Times”, ICCA Congress Series n°15, Wolters Kluwer 2011, p. 65;
– “La gestion du risque arbitral par les parties” (How parties manage the « arbitration risk »), Revue générale de droit des assurances n°37 (2012/1), 1 January 2012, p.234;
– “Investment & Arbitration in Libya : From Old to New, From Certainties to Uncertainties” (co-authored with N. Abdallah-Martin), 01 Colloquia Papers on international arbitration, Review of the Milan Chamber of Arbitration, 2011/1, p.1;
– “La convention d’arbitrage : négociation et rédaction– Etude comparée en droit français et en droit OHADA” (Drafting and Negotiating an Arbitration Agreement – A Comparison Between French and OHADA Law), Journal Africain du droit des affaires, n°2/2012, p.7 ;
– “An Overview of the New Saudi Arbitration Act: A Smooth Evolution but No Revolution” (co-authored with M. Eid), Mealey’s International Arbitration Report, LexisNexis, Vol. 27, #10 October 2012, p.1 ;
– “Les arguments contre la préparation d’un témoin dans un arbitrage international” (The Case Against the Preparation of Witnesses in International Arbitration), co-authored with R. Monégier du Sorbier, the Bulletin of the European Court of Arbitration 02/201, p.8;
– “The Paris Court of Appeal : a gatekeeper for International Arbitration’s Efficiency” (“La Cour d’appel de Paris, gardienne de l’efficacité de l’arbitrage international”), LJA, 21 mai 2013, n°1115, p.1 ;
– “Revising the Korean Arbitration Act from a civil law jurisdiction perspective : the example of the French Arbitration Reform”, Korean Journal of Arbitration Studies, vol.24, n°3, sept. 2014, p.125 ;
– “L’éthique dans la conduite et la gestion de l’arbitrage” (Ethics and Arbitration Case Management), to be published and edited by the Fédération des Centres d’arbitrage in 2015, available on line : http://www.afa-arbitrage.com/lethique-dans-la -conduite-et-la-gestion-de-larbitrage-de-maitre-jalal-el-ahdab/;
– “Un point de vue actuel sur l’arbitrage en Chine et à Hong Kong : toujours un pays, deux systèmes” (“A fresh update on Arbitration in China and Hong Kong : Still one country, Two Systems?”) – co-authored with K.Fan and R.Stackpool, Rev. arb 2014, n°4, p.831;
– “Quelle(s) “règles du jeu” pour les conseils dans un arbitrage méditerranéen?” (The “Rules of the Game” applicable to Counsels in a Mediterranean Arbitration), in “L’arbitrage dans les pays de l’Union pour la Méditerranée”, Bruylant, 2015, p.283